Millennium Reneges on Promise to Test for Hollywood Fault

LiarLiarPantsOnFireDespite repeated promises to multiple media outlets to test for the Hollywood earthquake fault running directly under the Millennium Project site, Millennium developer Phil Aarons, would rather fight than let the truth be exposed.

On August 28, 2013, the L.A. Times reported:

“Aarons said he did not believe a fault was underneath the site of the towers, ‘but we’re going to examine and do further testing just to make sure that everybody sees it exactly the same way as we do — most importantly, the city.’

‘We want to make sure that it’s safe and that everyone sees that it’s safe,’ Aarons said.

The further testing Aarons referred to was the digging of a trench to determine the existence of a fault underneath the property.”

However, according to a recent article in the L.A. Weekly, Millennium Partners has decided to suspend the trenching of the Millennium Hollywood project area until both the community’s lawsuit and that of the W-Hotel owners are litigated.

BUT WAIT!

Hold off the popping of the champagne cork and the toasting of victory.

Why do you think that this developer suddenly decided to hold off trenching when they (and the City) said publicly this would happen LAST MONTH?

If the trenching were done today with the oversight of the State geologists, it’s possible and, according to expert testimony, likely that they would discover that the Hollywood fault runs under their entire project.

If that discovery were made known today, there would be no need to continue the litigation. The project would not be able to go forward. They lied to the City, the public and the media when they said they were going to do everything including trenching to determine the safety of the earth beneath the project site.

By withdrawing their promise to trench the site, they assure that litigation will continue which could last a couple of years. Who has the funds to hold out for that long better than this mega billion-dollar developer? Who suffers the most by their stalling tactics more than the public who work hard to prevent dangerous projects like this from being built? The law states that there can be NO habitable structures erected over or within 50 feet of an earthquake fault.

What do we want? TRENCHING! (Overseen by the State geologists)

When do we want it? NOW!

What can we do in the meantime? RAISE MONEY TO KEEP ON FIGHTING!

Please DONATE right now to make your year end tax deductible contribution to the future of Hollywood!

Insuring a Nightmare:

We’ve been bringing so much pressure to bear on Millennium via the media that we expected insurers might be watching. We’ve been expecting that any insurer would be demanding proof that the 7.0 magnitude Hollywood Fault does NOT run through the Millennium site where thousands of people would live and work. Yet, Millennium has suddenly taken that potential away from not only the public, but also, the insurance industry. Could it be that they know the answer will be devastating for their plans? Check out this article published on August 5, 2013 in the Insurance Journal: http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/west/2013/08/05/300724.htm

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *